The Department of Biochemistry Biophysics Facility houses an extensive array of precision instruments for characterisation of macromolecules and their interactions.
The instruments available currently include:
- two isothermal titration calorimeters, for quantification of interactions
- an analytical ultracentrifuge for analysis of sedimentation coefficient and molecular mass
- two BIACORE instruments for measurement of kinetic and equilibrium binding constants of ligands to an immobilised partner
- a circular dichroism spectrometer for estimation of protein secondary structure composition and analysis of thermal stability
- a UV spectrophotometer for measurement of thermal melting profiles and is especially well suited for analysis of nucleic acids
- a real-time PCR detection system also suitable for thermal-shift assays
- a dynamic light scattering instrument for measurement of molecular size
The facility is part of a larger collection of service and research facilities in the Department of Biochemistry.